Sunday, April 10, 2016

Google Earth KML

This week was pretty straight forward and simple compared to previous lessons. ( A well needed breather before out final project, perhaps?)

We had to take a mxd from a previous lesson (Module 10 Dot Density map) and convert it into a KML file that allows the information to be displayed in Google Earth (or another similar program).

The only issue I had was going back to an old problem with the dot map, having the dots display onling in urbanized areas. ArcGIS kept crashing everytime I attempted to display it. This time, I got it to work. Either because I reduced the amount of information on the map (no background color, etc.) or because I played with the size of the dots and the number of people each dot represented. Though it did take a good 5 minutes to draw. Once I had the needed elements on my layout displayed, I saved then converted the file via the Map to KML tool in Arc.Once a KML file is created, it's matter of double clicking and displays nicely in Google Earth.

After that, we had to create a tour of the major cities in South Florida. This was also very easy. Clicking the camera button on the tool bar and then clicking the record button. Whatever we do while it's recording, is recorded. Though I had to do it a few times until I had the tour I liked. There was also the trick of displaying and not displaying features, like the pins for the cities or the dots. The trick was find the right moment to uncheck them as the map transitioned to a new area. It's cool how Google Earth does the flying bit. Almost makes any tour look like a professional piece of work. Once in the respective cities, I tried to do a little flying around using the w-a-s-d layout (PC games do matter...).

The other aspect of this lesson was discussing VGI. Google Earth is a tool that seems to be made for anyone to create a basic map. You can add photos, points of interest,etc and share them with a community. If you know how to create KML files, you can go a step further and really create something that can be easily shared with others. I like the open source aspect of it. This is where ESRI fails and companies like Google, Open Street maps or programs like Q-Gis do well. Giving people the ability to map what they want. It's obvious ESRI is attempting to compete with their ArcGIS online and their ArcGlobe, obviously though ESRI is more geared towards organizations that need this tools. However, I'll venture to say that as mapping technologies become more streamlined and easier to access, more and more organizations might opt for open source over paid subscriptions.


Google Map Image with Dot Density layer and related information (legend, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment