Sunday, April 3, 2016

3D Models

This week we had to learn and understand how to create 3D models in arcgis. This was actually quite fun and I felt like I was learning the details and methods behind programs like Google Earth.

In the lab we mostly followed the ESRI training directions and then followed along on the pdf. We learned how to create 3d models using tools such as extrusion. The ESRI training sections are really good at taking you step by step of the various tools in Arc that you can use. At the end of the day, I learned how to take any scene (in which I can create a Z value based on elevation or height) and create a 3d representation.

If I had a choice, I'd stick to 2d maps. Though 3d maps can display information in interesting ways, I feel that they don't have much practical value. Ultimately ArcGIS is about Data anaylsis, and though there are times in which a proper visualization can  improve this process, those times are limited. Personally, I feel 3d models best work for 2 situations: 1) Seeing something that you can't normally see and 2) keeping people interested.

As for number 1, that can apply to maps that have subterrian information, such as the first map we looked at. There I could see that types of rock and the well depths. Also it can apply to visualizing non spatial information in a spatial way such as the property prices for the parcels map.

3d maps definitely are interesting to look at and will keep people's attention. That being said, it's hard to think of situations in which 3d maps provide better information than a 2d map. And unless you're concerned with the actual physical shape of geographic information, it almost seems unnecessary. But ultimately, making 3d maps are fun and look really cool.






No comments:

Post a Comment