Thursday, January 21, 2016

The State of Florida Map

The objectives were to learn the basics of AI functions, exporting maps from Arc to AI, using the essential map elements as per the UWF GIS Essential Map Elements, demonstrate competency in AI, and using scripting to improve functionality.

I'm going to be honest, I suck at graphic design. Mainly because I'm unfamiliar with the software, but as time goes on, I'll develop the skills needed. AI is a huge suite with lots and lots of capabilities and surprisingly, some limitations. Figuring out how to make a border wasn't easy. I ended up using youtube videos. What I did in the end was use a rectangle with the inside white and the outside a green edge. I find that given the complexity of the program, it is not intuitive so it's something that needs to be learned.

I started with ArcGIS and obtained the needed data. I modified the legend by changing the layer titles. I also used ArcGIS to help create my background color. In AI I put the map on 80% transparent so the background color could emerge a bit. The scale and North arrow were also created in Arc GIS.

Once the map was exported to AI, I set it to transparent as stated above. I then added the graphics using wikipedia which provides public domain and creative commons photographs and graphics.

To make it a little unique, I used palm trees as the symbol for the cities. The palm trees were freely available (no copy right) off of icons etc. Now, figuring out the find and replace script was a slightly frustrating experience. However, I finally figured it out and magically my cities turned to palm trees.The trick was, besides un-grouping the cities, selecting the palm tree first, then the graphic I wanted to replace, finally running the script. I kept the state capital as is from Arc: a big red star.

I modified the legend in AI to match with the font I was using, "Intergraph Architectural". I thought it was a fun font and it's easy to read making the information very clear. The key tools was the direct select function, because it allowed me to select certain objects without disturbing others. Also, learnig how the layers work was important. The other key tool for me, was the hand tool. It allowed me to move the image as a whole. Initially, I was moving the image with the cursor and screwing everything up. Learning the colors and how the work was also important. I can see that becoming an issue in the future. There is a gradient on the the border colors. It's light, but it adds a little je ne se pas.

The three features I went with was the state nick name, the seal and the state animal.


No comments:

Post a Comment